The Swartz Story

Friday, July 8, 2011

Low Carb Cooking

Since I'm only working 2 days a week in the summer, I decided I should start cooking more.  When I was working and going to school I got out of the habit and hardly ever cooked.  This week I actually planned out 4 meals.  Since Karson is doing a low carb diet, I did my best to find meals that were low carb and something I would like too.  Here are 2 of the meals I made:

Chicken Divine (a family favorite)


2 pkgs. frozen broccoli florets
6 chicken breasts, cooked & boned
2 cans cream of chicken
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. curry powder
1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs (I did not add b/c of carbs)
1 T. melted butter/margarine
generous dash of cayenne pepper
shredded cheddar cheese
garlic powder

Preheat oven at 350 degress.
Cook broccoli according to directions, drain and place in greased
9 x 13 baking dish.  Place chicken on top of broccoli (I cut into small pieces).  Sprinkle with garlic powder.  Mix soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder & cayenne together.  Pour over chicken.  Cover with shredded cheese & bread crumbs & sprinkle with melted butter.  Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbling.  Can put together the day before and bake the next day. 
*Makes 6-8 servings

Since there are only 2 of us, we had it for dinner and then Karson had it in his lunch all week and I ate it one day for lunch too.  It gave us a lot of meals.  Good thing Karson really likes it.


                                      Grilled steak

I uses the top sirloin from HEB and seasoned steak with lemon pepper and Tony's Creole (my favorite).  Then I also marinated it with Cookwell & Co. garlic and molasses marinade for about an hour before Karson put it on the grill.  It was really yummy. 

1 comment:

Megan said...

I remember you telling me about this casserole! I'm going to have to make it:)